[ExI] Happy New Year!

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 06:32:33 UTC 2009

2009/1/2 BillK <pharos at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Emlyn wrote:
>>> On the BBC2 TV New year musical entertainment programme 'Jules
>>> Hootenanny', after her performance the singer Annie Lennox had a brief
>>> chat with the host.
>>> Jules said 'And what is your recommendation for 2009?'
>>> After a brief pause, Annie said, 'Well, 2009 is going to be a
>>> catastrophic year. I recommend staying in bed'. Unsettled, trying to
>>> make a joke of it, Jules said, 'So your recommendation for 2009 is to
>>> stay in bed!', then laughed and swiftly moved on to another guest.
>>>
>>> Unexpected serious comment on a light entertainment show.
>>
>> I like Annie Lennox, but that's super lame. I stand by my previous exhortation.
>>

> <Grin> Well, of course Annie Lennox is not a noted financial analyst.
>
> I understood her to be saying that you might as well go to sleep and
> wake up in 2010, missing all the bad stuff in 2009. What I thought
> remarkable was that the realization of just how bad 2009 is going to
> be is spreading through the general public, in spite of all the
> government attempts to soothe their fears.
>
> Some analysts do agree with her opinion.
> See:
> <http://www.minyanville.com/articles/WMT-TGT-GE-C-djia-gm/index/a/20445>
> Five Themes You Need to Know for 2009
> Kevin Depew   Dec 31, 2008
>
> Final paragraph:
> So there you have it. Only 366 days until 2010. That's the good news.
> When all is said and done, perhaps the best thing that will be said of
> 2009 is that it only lasted a year.
> ------------
>
> BillK

Perhaps I should have been more cautious in my phrasing. Try this:

---
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit my best wishes
for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible , low stress,
non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the summer solstice
holiday, practised within the most enjoyable traditions of the
religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your
choice , with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and /or
traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or
secular traditions at all....................

And a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling,and medically
uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted
calendar year 2009, but not without due respect for the calendars of
choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped
make our Nation great, (not to imply that our Nation is necessarily
greater than any other country), and without regard to the race,
creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of
computer platform, tool brand, automobile brand, favoured type of
fermented alcohol-enhanced beverage or sexual preference of the
wishee.

(EULA: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This
greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, it is freely
transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies
no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for
herself / himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and
is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. Where required by
law, this wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual
application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the
issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and
warranty is limited to replacement of these wishes or issuance of a
new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.)
---

(not mine I'm afraid)

--
Emlyn