[ExI] MIT OpenCourseWare: Anyone want 6.001 Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs?

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 03:31:07 UTC 2009

I was looking at the MIT OpenCourseWare ( http://ocw.mit.edu/ ) last
year, and it looks useful. But, it's structured to be used as a uni
course. Many (not all) people would find it more useful if they could
access it freely, but in the context of "a course".

By this I mean, it'd be useful to have a cohort of other students
doing it at the same time with whom you could interact, it'd be useful
to have someone play tutor, and give feedback on questions,
assignments, etc. It'd be useful to have people available to help with
technical setup issues. It might be useful to have a place to swap
sharable resources.

Anyway, I thought I'd put my money (well actually my time) where my
mouth is, and offer to organise this for a first year computer science
course (for free, of course):

6.001 Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-001Spring-2005/CourseHome/index.htm

Is that interesting to anyone? If a few people care and find it
useful, this can probably continue into more of the comp sci
curriculum later.

Note that I'm not offering to be a lecturer, that's already done in
the course material (and I wouldn't be competent). But I can help with
tech issues, help explain stuff, and organise group resources and
such.

This would be run as a semester 1 course, with weeks in the course
materials corresponding to weeks of semester 1.

Anyone who's interested, reply to me at my email address.

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related
http://point7.wordpress.com - downshifting and ranting