[ExI] cliques

ben benboc at lineone.net
Mon Jan 5 19:43:18 UTC 2009

Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> protested:

 >At 07:01 PM 1/3/2009 -0800, Kevin wrote:

 > >Eh, I meant cliques, as you've sarcastically pointed out  :)

 >Heavens to Betsy, not sarcasm--whimsy. Punnish frivolity (of a rather
 >labored kind no doubt).

I'm surprised (about the spelling).

I noticed the mistake, but assumed it was just another example of
'American'.

Why is Clique any different to Cheque, Tyre, Colour, Haem, Sulphur,
Foetus, Oestrogen, etc., etc., etc.?

Is this just a word that slipped past Webster's relentless dumbing-down
of the language?  (which i always thought was ironic, because you just
swap spelling for context, in many cases (e.g. Tire, Check, and - i
thought - Click)).

And Damien, be very careful about proposals to punnish frivolity.  They
just might backfire on you.

Ben Zaiboc