[ExI] What's in a transhumanist name? (was: YES! to Transhumanism)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 21:45:30 UTC 2009

At 03:52 PM 1/5/2009 -0500, Dave wrote:

>I thought it was based on:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Engineer
>
>Which I've never heard anyone criticize as juvenile-sounding.

A wiki subheading leads to the rather good:

===================

         OBLIGATION OF AN ENGINEER

I am an Engineer, in my profession I take deep pride. To it I owe
solemn obligations.

Since the Stone Age, human progress has been spurred by the
engineering genius. Engineers have made usable Nature's vast
resources of material and energy for Humanity's [Mankind's] benefit.
Engineers have vitalized and turned to practical use the principles
of science and the means of technology. Were it not for this heritage
of accumulated experience, my efforts would be feeble.

As an Engineer, I pledge to practice integrity and fair dealing,
tolerance and respect, and to uphold devotion to the standards and
the dignity of my profession, conscious always that my skill carries
with it the obligation to serve humanity by making the best use of
Earth's precious wealth.

As an Engineer[, in humility and with the need for Divine guidance,]
I shall participate in none but honest enterprises. When needed, my
skill and knowledge shall be given without reservation for the public
good. In the performance of duty and in fidelity to my profession, I
shall give the utmost.

Note: Brackets indicate the original wording of the Obligation.
Either wording is acceptable, but new certificates have the newer wording.

The distinction seems pretty clear, which is why it's not juvenile.
These folks really *are* engineers, they don't just play one in World
of Bashing Imaginary Stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with
bashing imaginary stuff, or even bashing it out as I've been known to do.

Damien Broderick