[ExI] What's in a transhumanist name?

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 05:46:14 UTC 2009

Love VR worlds yes, certainly, but VR worlds are not the main focus.

A ludic conduit into the mass mind: yes, this is the idea.

Captain Wii and her Virtual Rangers - I love that, but this label
would stop working when the Wii loses novelty market share, think of
Captain Amiga and her Virtual Rangers. Tech brand names lose their sex
appeal in no time.

G.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 11:32 AM 1/6/2009 +0000, Tom Nowell wrote:
>
>> If I'm not mistaken, the Order of Cosmic Engineers held their launch event
>> in Warcraft. If they're an organisation with 100% warcrack-lovers as their
>> founders, it is hardly surprising they have a name designed to appeal to WoW
>> players.
>>
>>  The whole image I get of the organisation is of people who love virtual
>> worlds.
>
> On reflection I see that this is clearly correct. Looking at the group's
> name from that perspective, my initial qualms are not just groundless but
> obtuse, completely missing the point. If it's a sort of  >H gamers' enclave
> within established fantasy worlds, it has to reflect that milieu (whether
> out of the sheer delight and playfulness of doing so, or as an entrist ploy
> into virtual gamespace). Still, this doesn't really seem consistent with the
> rather solemn high-toned tenor of much of the Prospectus. I dunno. If it's
> seen as a ludic conduit into the mass mind, while World
> Transhumanism/Humanity-Plus or whatever is more for policy wonks in suits
> and ties, it probably wouldn't hurt if it called itself Sergeant Saturn and
> the Men of Tomorrow--
> <http://homepage3.nifty.com/captainfuture/mag_contents.html>--or Captain Wii
> and her Virtual Rangers.
>
> Damien Broderick