[ExI] A Sokal-style hoax

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:11:36 UTC 2009

Yes, the reply has merit indeed. If I may quote its concluding paragraph
(for the convenience of those of you who won't bother to click through the
link Damien provided and read to the end):

"At most, all that 'Gould' has done is misrepresent her own identity and the
direct involvement of the CSIRO in some of the research projects she cites.
She has done no more than demonstrate that, through the subterfuge of a
bogus email address, an invented identity and CV, plus a series of deceitful
email conversations with an editor, a writer can get an article published
that contains a small amount of information that was not true, but which is
otherwise entirely plausible. Rather than a hoax, her article is simply a
piece of fraudulent journalism submitted to *Quadrant* under false
pretences. It is no more a hoax than a dud cheque."

Regards,
Mike LaTorra