[ExI] The Transhumanist Edge

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 11:18:41 UTC 2009

I also don't see Frank living long enough to see the Singularity.
Hell, I also don't see myself and most readers of this list living
long enough to see the Singularity with the biological eyes we were
born with. Perhaps with a few decades of cryonic sleep.

Tipler's Omega Point is just one of the many possibilities that have
been discussed for our descendants to rescue us from death by "copying
us to the future". I don't know when this may be feasible, and I don't
know if it may be feasible, but I don't see any fundamental reason why
our descendants should not be able to engineer space, time and
information with the required accuracy.

G.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:07 AM, John Grigg
<possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> Frank J. Tipler: But we shall all be changed: "Humanity will see,
>>> before I die, the "Singularity," the day when we finally create a
>>> human level artificial intelligence.
>

> Keith Henson wrote:
>>
>> Silly Frank.  If we get to the singularity before he dies, there is no
>> reason he should die.
>

> Frank Tipler is 61 years old and turns 62 on Feb. 1st.  I really don't see
> him living long enough to see the Singularity.  On the other hand, I think
> my two year-old nephew has a very good chance of making it.  Hopefully,
> Tipler's Omega Point theory will prove true so that his passing in a few
> decades won't matter.
>
> John

Eschatoon Magic
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon