[ExI] I'm not sure I understand..please enlighten me.

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 14:54:45 UTC 2009

Tom, I think a belief in the "supernatural" is hardly compatible with
transhumanism, or with any system of thought based on the scientific
method. To me the "supernatural" does not exist as a matter of
definition: we define "nature" as all that exists, hence nothing
outside of nature exists. This is grammar, not philosophy.
Transhumanists also think that everything in existence can in
principle, and should, be studied by science and improved (or built
from scratch) by engineering.

Having said this, we should bear in mind that reality may well be much
more complex than we currently know and imagine, and that in this huge
complexity there may well be room for things that could seem
"supernatural", including an afterlife and one or more Gods. I am
referring to Clarke's third law and Shakespeare "there are more things
in heavens and earth...". But the wonderful things that may well exist
in the present or future universe are not supernatural, just beyond
our current understanding.

G.

--
Eschatoon Magic