[ExI] I'm not sure I understand..please enlighten me.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 12:40:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Tom Nowell <nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On the other side, to be religious and anti-transhumanist is to be aware that humanity can change itself, and to be scared of this. For Christian & Islamic fundamentalists who treat writings over a thousand year old as the sole source of moral authority, modern bio- and neuro- technologies offer uncharted territory which their source of guidance offers little help with. For those who see altering humanity as "playing god" and a hubristic act, there is a fear that some awful future awaits if we experiment too far.

I wonder whether there is any actual anti-transhumanist muslim
literature, of if we sometimes put together christian and muslim
fundamentalists just by reflex... :-/

> I may have misread Anna's point, but I thought she was enquiring as to why the WTA/H+ are changing their public image and looking at revising their declaration in order to encourage discourse with the general public and with religious people. I believe it is because the H+ leadership would like to encourage people to see emerging technology that affects humans in a positive way and to encourage the development of these in a way that will benefit humanity in the near-term.

This is however a very misleading idea, since most people would take a
"Humanity Plus" self-description as irredeemably arrogant and
conceited, and few will see an obvious contrast between the idea that
"Man must be overcome" and the specieist undertones involved in such
naming.

--
Stefano Vaj