[ExI] consciousness and perception

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Sat Jan 24 17:33:26 UTC 2009

Ian,

Yes, all higher 'cognitive' abilities including emotions, love,
intuition, free will..., and all of consciousness itself are much more
complex squishy and difficult to comprehend than simple red vs green
phenomenal properties and a unified 3D visual field made of these
phenomenal properties.

The theory goes that there is a 'hard problem' of consciousness.  And
this 'hard problem' is simply the phenomenal nature of simple red vs
green.  And within the visual system this is the most obvios, solid, and
simple.  So, the theory goes, this is where we should first focus our
efforts to achieve an understanding of this 'hard problem'.

The theory also predicts that this 'hard problem' is the only 'hard
problem'.  In other words, once we fully understand how and what simple
red vs green are, and how they are unified into 3d realms of awareness -
this combined with simply more advance and complex information
processing theory, will be all that is required to fully understand and
reproduce all of consciousness.

So, before you can hope to understand what red vs green are, you have to
admit that they exist and are fundamentally important.  Then you also
have to know what they are a property of (i.e. where they are located).
Most of the 'nuts and bolts' neural researchers either don't believe
that qualia exist, or they are looking for them in the wrong place.
This is the only reason we haven't found them yet.  When you go to 'nuts
and bolts' neural conferences, they refuse to even consider anything
like qualia - and this is the big problem.

As evidence, at the recent Decade of the Mind conference, Christof Koch,
and me for asking him a question on qualia during a forum, were
attacked, and many there claimed 'nobody is interested in that here'.
See: http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/91

If we can attack and resolve this issue, and get the 'nuts and bolts'
neural researchers to understand representationalism, and what
phenomenal properties are - I believe discovering them will be easy and
almost immediate.  And that this will be THE  most important scientific
discovery ever.  Hence the motivation for a topic like this to concisely
measure scientific consensus:

http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88/6

There is a powerful 'scientific consensus' amongst theoretical
researchers of the mind surrounding  representationaism as is clearly
becoming evident in the above topic/camp.  There are various competing
theories describind in supporting sub camps about what 'qualia' are and
how that are concicely stated and quantitatively measured in the
supporting sub camps of the above representational super camp.  All this
lack of consensus about what qualia are is much less important than how
much consensus there is on the idea of representationalism as stated in
that super camp.

We believe no other theory can achieve anywhere close to the amount of
consensus amongst experts than this representational theory is already
achieving.  Once this theory finally clearly stands out from all the
noise and all the many junk theories of consciousness, the 'nuts and
bolts' neural researchers will finally 'get it' and start looking for
the right stuff in the right place in the right way.  And soon
thereafter the most important and world changing scientific discovery of
all time will be made (at least this is what the theory predicts.)   And
this discovery, along with more advanced information and AI theory, will
finally give us the ability to understand consciousness in its
entirety.  Additionally, after all this, the world and humanity will
soon become unrecognizable in almost every way compared to what it is today.

So, will you support our effort, join this camp, and help enlighten the
world, to help bring all this to pass sooner?:

http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88/6

It'd be great to also get your phenomenal papers 'canonized' with this
list of other representational publications:

http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/85

Upward,

Brent Allsop