[ExI] Fwd: No need for radical changes in human nature/was Re: Private and government R&D

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 07:13:48 UTC 2009

Offlisted by accident

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 3:13 AM
Subject: Re: [ExI] No need for radical changes in human nature/was Re:
Private and government R&D
To: Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Stathis Papaioannou<stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> So if the government sold the roads to a private owner you'd be happy
> to be fined?

### I would humbly accept it, if I broke a clearly stated rule enacted
by the owner. I accept the dominion of my neighbor over his land, I
humbly abide by his wishes as long as he respects mine. We are equals
under the law, and we each have a choice whether to enter each other's
sphere of influence. Since private owners would not be able to achieve
monopoly control of all roads without becoming a state, and at the
same time, would rely on my return custom for their revenue, they
would assiduously strive to enact rules most satisfactory to me, the
customer. So, there would be no speed limits on most roads, except as
to limit extreme amounts of danger to other customers (which could
scare some of them away and thus reduce revenue).

>> ### Yes, there is extensive evidence of a negative correlation between
>> intelligence and criminality. You can find a large bibliography in
>> "The Bell Curve".
>
> Clever psychopaths are less likely to directly involve themselves in
> violent crime, get caught, and get convicted if caught.

### You articulated a hypothesis challenging a body of peer-reviewed
research. What arguments and data do you have in favor of your
hypothesis?

Rafal