[ExI] we stand on the shoulders of giants

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 11:22:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 11:11 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> We have introduced a new way to kill us: the electromagnetic pulse.  Over
> time, there are fewer Amish and remote tribes, so we can imagine our species
> actually becoming ever more dependent upon technologies that fewer and fewer
> understand, or can reproduce.  While Bryan is thinking about archiving, I am
> thinking about how to make ourselves less vulnerable to the failure of our
> own gadgetry.

Sorry spike, we're actually working on the same thing.

http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/msg/806a061ed6a0fa3a

Reliability engineering is an attempt to root out all causes of
failures. Sometimes this involves simplifying all of those "complex
technologies that nobody can understand or reproduce", etc. etc.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507