[ExI] all michael all the time

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 06:38:11 UTC 2009

On 7/8/09, spike wrote:
>  I don't think I have ever seen anything like the news coverage Michael
>  Jackson has achieved.  CNN is the new king of tabloid news.  For most of the
>  day, its top 8 headlines had to do with Jackson.  Now its the top nine.  If
>  president whats-his-name were to be assassinated, it would take about three
>  days for any of the news majors to notice.  The usually tabloid-ish Fox is
>  the only place running actual news this evening.
>
>  Pardon me, please someone explain, what in the hell is up with that?

It's news as a branch of the entertainment industry. Designed for the
generation with the attention span of 140 characters.
(Or news items with a flashy video attached. No video = no mention on tv news).

If an invader leaves the entertainment channels undamaged, most people
won't bother about who is running the country,
Look what's happened already. 20% (and rising) have lost their jobs,
pension funds have been stolen, houses repossessed, all the government
funds handed to a few finance companies, etc. etc. When are the people
going to look up from their screens and say 'WTF is going on?'.

BillK