[ExI] Americans are poor drivers

Henrique Moraes Machado cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 14:39:20 UTC 2009

Rafal> I may be unusual in having this experience but, to my significant
> distress, I really hate traffic lights. I see a traffic light, and I
> see red: What kind of a fucking idiot could have had the idea of
> placing traffic lights at intersections, causing hundreds of thousands
> of casualties, burning billions of dollars in other people's gas
> money, slowing traffic, and destroying literally millions of
> quality-adjusted life years among the public? Anybody with enough
> imagination, or maybe just experience driving in let's say Britain
> would see immediately that traffic lights are dumb, inferior to
> traffic circles. Science confirms that - traffic circles are almost
> always superior to traffic lights as measured by throughput, cost,
> speed, safety, you name it.

The problem is not only in the drivers or the streets. I also happen to
think that cars are wrong in so many ways. Using a two ton steel three meter
long brick moved by an engine capable of tugging a small house to transport
(most of the time) a single ape and his mobile phone is really really
insane.
And every time I see one of those Discovery channel shows about the future
of cars I only see more of the same (rare exceptions noted) only with more
electronics and better aerodynamics. But they still take the same space.