[ExI] we stand on the shoulders of giants

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Wed Jul 8 23:47:12 UTC 2009

MB skrev:

> Actually, they work both ways, suck *and* blow.  So he may have the right specs.  If
> they suck, surely they should also blow?

:)

Exactly!

Actually, my bellows would at first, in one sense, both blow and suck to
a high degree, in another sense, not much at all. In time, though, I'm
pretty sure it would blow and suck in the first sense less, and in the
other sense, more. :)

But, as Micro points out, it won't get us to iron.

About backups: spike, I agree completely, although I think some paper
copies of some critical information wouldn't be a bad idea. The amount
of information needed to get us to the stage of the Greek Renaissance
(~2.4 millennia ago) could be written up in an only somewhat fat book,
I'd guess. But we'd want to be able to get from there to here (and
beyond) quickly, of course.... But having many "How to Get to the
Greeks" books distributed around the world in very safe places would be
a good idea. There was actually a good deal of discussion about that and
similar ideas after Cahill's "How the Irish Saved Civilization" came out.

Brian