[ExI] META: Webmail backup freeware

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 13:10:44 UTC 2009

2009/7/9 BillK <pharos at gmail.com>:
> Now that many people are using web email accounts, backing up these
> webmails is becoming more important.
>
> Cnet has just reviewed a freeware program that seems pretty good.
> <http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10282688-12.html>
>
> July 8, 2009 5:15 PM PDT
> Archive your e-mail from almost any account
>
> MailStore Home can archive a pretty impressive list of mail servers,
> including Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, Microsoft Exchange,
> Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Gmail, Windows Live Mail, IMAP, POP3, and .EML
> files.
> You can easily back up your email to CD as well.
> Note that the free version restricts you to backing up three different accounts.
>
> For Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista
>
> Download from here:
> <http://download.cnet.com/MailStore-Home/3000-2369_4-10761715.html>
>

> BillK

But will people do it?

It'd be nice if there was an online alternative; somewhere you could
sign up, point it at your gmail etc, and it'd periodically backup to
some different online space. Ideally the whole thing would work
without you doing anything else from that point forth (it'd just be
online services talking to each other), and it would be as close as
possible to free :-)

Making money on it'd be hard. Maybe if you serviced a lot of different
web mails, you could also provide a "Move my email from service X to
service Y" function, and charge the webmail vendors for the privelege
of being listed as a choice for Y.

Also if any supported services actually fell over, you have some great
short term leverage, in that you can recommend new services
preferentially to your users; that ought to be worth something :-)

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related
http://point7.wordpress.com - ranting