[ExI] No need for radical changes in human nature/was Re: Private and government R&D

Henrique Moraes Machado cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:06:40 UTC 2009

Damien Broderick> Yes. And since stupid people are perhaps more likely to
depend on
> brute force rather than cunning (except among themselves), one might
> expect less violence and certainly less crime if IQs were universally
> boosted--unless newly high-IQ pests became even more bored, frustrated and
> intrusive, like script kiddies with their fun viruses.

Do the terms criminal mastermind and evil genius ring a bell? What if the
reason why smart criminals are not in prisons is just because they are smart
enough to succesfully avoid being caught? I'm exaggerating, off course.

Once upon a time (mid nineties) there was a very (in)famous criminal here
called Leonardo Pareja who was raised in a middle class family and had a
high IQ. In prison he become the leader of the inmates and succesfully lead
a prison break (43 inmates evaded!). He eventually was recaptured and ended
up being murdered in the cell
(http://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/10/world/notorious-brazilian-convict-slain-in-prison.html).