[ExI] Americans are poor drivers

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 14:52:25 UTC 2009

2009/7/13 Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it>:

> In the same time in Taiwan:
> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2009/07/09/2003448208
>
>> At Dan Fong Elementary and ESTMUE, I observed six excellent practices
>> worth adopting by US schools:
>>
>> 1. Serve nutritious lunches: Unlike in the US, Taiwanese school
>> lunches do not consist of processed foods high in fat and sugar.
>> Instead, they generally consist of rice, soup, meat, fruit and
>> vegetables. Studies show that improving nutrition boosts academic
>> performance.
>>
>> 2. Keep students active: While US schools have cut back on or
>> completely eliminated physical education and recess, Taiwanese
>> schools provide physical education classes twice a week and 10-minute
>> recess periods four times a day. Both Taiwanese elementary schools I
>> visited had athletic tracks, which are rare in US elementary schools.
>> Studies show that increased physical activity leads to higher
>> academic performance.
>>
>> 3. Require school uniforms: School uniforms are the norm in Taiwanese
>> public schools. Only 15 percent of US public schools require them.
>> Studies show that school uniforms raise academic performance, while
>> lowering violence, theft and the negative effects of peer pressure.
>>
>> 4. Use hands-on learning: I observed more hands-on learning in the
>> Taiwanese schools than I have in US schools. For example, Taiwanese
>> students went on a field trip to a castle they studied in social
>> studies; they collected local plants and used them to make a dye in
>> science; and they worked with compasses and rulers in math. Studies
>> show that hands-on learning involves students in real-world
>> activities and thereby improves their academic performance.
>>
>> 5. Use interdisciplinary learning: Based on my observations, US
>> teachers tend to teach one curricular discipline at a time, while
>> Taiwanese teachers try to incorporate several into a lesson. For
>> example, I observed a science teacher and art teacher in Taiwan
>> collaborate in guiding students through a science project that
>> involved drawing. Studies show that interdisciplinary learning helps
>> students apply their knowledge in various contexts and thus enhances
>> their academic performance.
>>
>> 6. Instill personal responsibility: In US schools, janitors clean up
>> after the students. In Taiwanese schools, the students clean up after
>> themselves. Cleanup time is a daily ritual wherein Taiwanese students
>> clean the school building, sweep the school grounds and dump trash.
>> Studies show that students who become more responsible tend to
>> improve their academic performance.

But you will note that the Taiwanese schools are public schools. If
the schools in one country or state are better than in another (as
they will be - there isn't just one way of doing things) then less
well performing schools should take note and improve themselves. This
is, or ought to be, a point of national importance. You seem to be
claiming that governments and parents are spending money on public
education when they don't care about education; but if that were true
why not just make education private and optional, and either give the
taxpayers a large tax cut (boosting electoral appeal) or spend the
money on more important things, like palaces and private jets for the
politicians?

--
Stathis Papaioannou