[ExI] Wanted - academic discussions of mind uploading

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sun Jul 12 22:54:21 UTC 2009

Kaj,

I'm certainly looking forward to following any such academic effort.  I
love what I've seen so far.

In case you haven't heard, a growing bunch of world class mind expert
volunteers are working on using the open survey system at canonizer.com
to rigorously measure or survey for the 'scientific consensus' (see:
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/53/11) to determine and track,
quantitatively, what the experts currently believe are the best theories
of consciousness.  Some argue that we are about to make the greatest
scientific discovery of all time: what / how is the mind is.  Our goal
is to rigorously measure this process as the demonstrable scientific
proof starts to convert all experts to THE ONE true theory of
consciousness possibly already represented by a camp in the survey topic
on the best theories of mind here:

http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88

Leading experts like Steven Lehar, John Smythies, Jonathan Edwards, John
Gregg, and many more are starting to contribute.  It is definitely
exciting to watch this horse race as ever more experts contribute
(canonizer if you will) their beliefs to this real time open survey.
Most people think there is no consensus whatsoever in this field of
study, but if these early still tentative results continue to bear out,
there is an extreme and increasing amount of scientific consensus
revolutionizing this field of study as we speak.  To date, everyone and
their dog has been developing their own pet theory of consciousness.
But the evidence we're seeing so far seems to increasingly be saying
that none of these theories has more than one or two supporters by
scientific experts, except for the representational and real theory
represented by this so far obvious current scientific consensus camp here:

http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88/6

This theory predicts (falsifiably so) we are about to develop what will
make the subjective objectively sharable via something referred to as
effing the ineffable (First proposed by V.S. Ramachandran
http://www.imprint.co.uk/rama/qualia.pdf).  You know, as in "oh THAT is
what salt tastes like!"

It further predicts that multiple 'spirits' will be able to inhabit
unified 'spirit worlds' of conscious awareness (WARNING: see the above
camp statement for a definition of 'spirit' and 'spirit world', these
are not ghosts, and are dependent on the brain - but other than that,
they are what they sound like.)

Currently, when you hug someone, you are only aware of half of the
phenomenal sensations.  This theory predicts we will achieve the ability
to 'merge' conscious worlds in ways such that multiple of our spirits
will be able to inhabit shared spaces of  conscious awareness.  This
will enable all parties involved to spiritually experience all that is
going on, not just half, and much more.

And of course all this will be the beginnings of what will surely be
'hive minds' as these conscious worlds finally pierce the 'veil of
perception', escape from being ineffablly trapped inside these mortal
spirit prison walls that currently are our skulls, and eventually, as
Raymond Kurzweil predicts, the entire universe starts to phenomenally or
spiritually 'wake up' into one unfied shared consciouses spiritual hive
mind.  The universe is obviosly made of much more than just cause and
effect properties, if this theory is correct we are about to
demonstrably discover all this.

Also, since you asked, there is a reference to a fictionalized short
story in the above 'camp' describing in chapters 5 and 6 what
phenomenal  uploading and hive minds, could be like, as predicted by
this theory.  (See reference to "1229 Years After Titanic" in the notes
section of the above camp statement.)

I'd love to know if you find or if there is anything along these
phenomenal lines in what you've included in your survey so far.  And of
course, everyone would love to know what you think is most likely
possible in the future in our open survey also.

Brent Allsop

P. S. I am happy to hear about you for the fist time.  I love your
'opinion page' here:

    http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tspro1/aboutme.html

that enables me to know much about you.  If you are interested, here is
my personal 'canonized' opinion page:

    http://canonizer.com/support_list.asp?nick_name_id=1

It appears that we have much in common.