[ExI] iranian riots all a huge mistake

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 15:11:57 UTC 2009

2009/7/14 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

>> If in fact the election was fair, we would be supporting
>> something undemocratic. Still, that's not enough reason not
>> to support the rebels. In a democracy, 51% could vote to kill
>> and eat the other 49%, and it would be perfectly legal...
>> Stathis Papaioannou
>

> Ja, agreed, thanks for that comment.  The American founders realized this,
> and that is why America is not a democracy but rather is a democratic
> republic.  Our current government fails to recognize this, but we will
> survive another 3.4 years when most of them will be gone.

I'm not sure what you mean by this distinction. Are you referring to
the US Constitution? A constitution itself will either be written and
ratified by a team of dictators or by some sort of democratically
elected committee. The democratic method is preferable, since
dictators are less likely to be benevolent, in general, than the mass
of public opinion. Still, the democratic method can also lead to all
manner of unpleasantness. The US Constitution could be amended in any
way whatsoever if enough state and federal politicians agree, couldn't
it? It is technically harder to change the constitution but if the
problem with democracy is thought to be the process of majority
decision, would it make it any better if a government or law could
only be changed if, say, 2/3 of the population agree?

--
Stathis Papaioannou