[ExI] Rand's esthetics

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 18:11:55 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 7/16/09, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
> "I'm not sure about all the features of this definition,
> but it's not
> objectionable to me as a whole. The thing that I'm not sure
> about is what
> would a re-creation of non-real-time, synthetic reality be
> like and why
> would that not be art? This is a minor quibble, but it
> sounds like there's
> too much verbiage in there."
>
> I did not say it was not art, I said the statement is not
> made in my voice.

My question was aimed at showing that this the statement* seems too narrow or seems a bit wordy. Anyhow, no big deal. I would problem go for:

"Artistic projects are re-creations of some aspects of reality. Artists apply their unique sense of life and fundamental values into their works."

And then leave it up to discuss just what falls under "aspects of reality." I think it'd cover just about anything -- as anything could be re-created in an artistic project.

I'm also wonder what's gained by the particular definition you posted. Why is it, e.g., better than that of, well, you know who?

> Outside of this fact, I agree with it in total.

It's true that you did point out it's not your personal view -- though I was unsure how to interpret that. Did you mean it was the expert view in the field and you don't agree with it? Given you say you "agree with it in total," what does that mean? Do you have a different personal view? It's a bit confusing here.

> But really I have nothing more to say on this because I am
> studying other
> views on aesthetics and this is distracting for me.
> Maybe at some point we
> can engage in discussions about something outside of
> objectivist/libertarian/Rand topics.  It simply is not
> captivating for me,
> where it is for you and others.  This does not mean it
> is not good or great
> or meaningful.  I just don't care to invest in
> it.  (Please do not analyze
> this paragraph too much, it is just a statement as I am
> rushing off to work.)

Okay, nothing more to add on that particular issue if all you're saying is you don't personally find it interesting at this time.

Regards,

Dan

* "Artistic projects are re-creations of real-time, synthetic reality, and concept-experiences (mental processes). Artists apply their unique sense of life and fundamental values into their works."