[ExI] Greening the Sahara

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sat Jul 18 02:20:10 UTC 2009

On 17 Jul, 2009, at 17:41, Dan wrote:

> I'll have to look this up. Thanks for recommendation!
>
> Prima facie, though, I'm thinking this would be slow and take a
> long, long time. Warming up the desert would quickly draw in moist
> air, increasing rainfall. (I reckon the problem then would be
> keeping this rainfall high and then making sure the water doesn't
> just runoff and away from the desert area.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

The Jordan project showed significant results in 2 years. The beauty
of it is that success causes an acceleration in rate. As you get more
canopy cover to slow evaporation and more organic matter to hold water
down, you get the band of cooling necessary to take that warm moist
air and get it to dump its water where you want it.

You're exactly right about the runoff being a problem. The way the
permies handle that is to build large swales on contour to hold the
water in and force it to soak into the ground.

Brent Neal, Ph.D.
http://brentn.freeshell.org
<brentn at freeshell.org>