[ExI] Americans are poor drivers

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:41:19 UTC 2009

2009/7/21 Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Stathis Papaioannou<stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/7/17 Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>:
>

>>> BTW, I don't discount the possibility of legitimate communal decision
>>> making: It only needs to be non-violent. As long as your anarchists
>>> don't threaten others with death and theft, they can build whatever
>>> they want on their land.
>>
>> This is what I meant. The land is theirs, and they decide not to sell
>> it off to private interests. A few of the shareholders might disagree:
>> they want to sell off their share for a quick profit. But there is an
>> original agreement at the time the roads or other communal property
>> were set up, which might preclude this happening unless a majority
>> agrees. What do you propose should be done: the police comes in and
>> forces a change so that anyone can sell their shares?
>
> ### The only persons morally bound by the agreement are the original
> anarchists who unanimously and voluntarily set up the monopoly. Their
> children raised in the area are not and cannot be parties to the
> agreement, since an agreement is valid only if there is choice
> relevant to the matter under agreement. The children grow up in a
> monopoly system where they cannot choose, they must obey or face
> destruction. Therefore, any of the children may, alone or with the
> help of allies of their choice, legitimately challenge the system by
> force.

The agreement may be that the common property will pass to any
children or new residents in equal share. They get it for nothing, but
they have to contribute to its maintenance and they can't give it up
or give it away. This is rather like a person who buys an apartment
getting a share in the common garden, whether he wants to or not, but
he can't sell his share to anyone else. It would take a majority of
the shareholders (or a supermajority - whatever the original
arrangement) to change this.

--
Stathis Papaioannou