[ExI] Private and government R&D

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 14:13:49 UTC 2009

2009/7/21 Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it>:
> Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:
>> 2009/7/21 Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> ### Huh?
>>>
>>> Anybody who encounters a businessman who feels he is not bound by the
>>> ethical considerations of non-initiation of violence may use any means
>>> at his disposal to deal with the business, since refusing to be bound
>>> by moral law excludes the businessman from its protections.
>>
>> A rich and powerful individual or corporation would have no trouble
>> squashing anyone that gets in their way, either directly or
>> indirectly.
>
> Rich and powerful individuals die and get maimed and have families as
> others; maybe they are more difficult to get, but they are not
> invulnerable. And they have vast interests that could suffer when they
> misbehave.
>
> If they use violence to take wealth from others, others will have no
> problem to use violence to take the wealth from them. They are surely
> rich targets.

There is one calculation to be made: will I lose or gain if I do this?
This is the same calculation that organised crime bosses make; they
may cooperate or keep out of each other's territory to avoid a war,
but otherwise they have no compunction eliminating anyone in their
way.

--
Stathis Papaioannou