[ExI] u.s. military oath

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jul 24 01:32:32 UTC 2009

About a week ago Jeff posted something I intended to answer but was wacky
busy at the time and didn't get a chance to do it.

The oath that U.S. military officers take is this:

"I (insert name), having been appointed a (insert rank) in the U.S. Army
under the conditions indicated in this document, do accept such appointment
and do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the
Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this
obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and
that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which
I am about to enter, so help me God."

The reason I mention it now is I expect this to become very important in the
next few weeks.  We now have three senior officers who have refused orders
because they believe the CinC is not legally president because he hasn't
produced a birth certificate.  They haven't been thrown into the brig for
mutiny.  I myself believe he has one, but his not producing it is the gift
that keeps on giving to his political opponents.