[ExI] usage question

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 25 21:00:15 UTC 2009

What hypersensitive literal-mindedness is this?

<Crowley said Gates referred to Crowley's mother as a way of showing
his displeasure.

When the officer repeatedly asked Gates to speak with him outside,
the professor responded, "Ya, I'll speak with your mama outside,"
Crowley wrote in a police report.

"I'm still just amazed that somebody of his level of intelligence
could stoop to such a level, and berate me, accuse me of being a
racist or racial profiling," Crowley said Thursday with WEEI-AM. "And
then speaking about my mother, it's just -- it's beyond words." >

What am I missing? I've never heard this expression, but I'd guess it
means "You're acting like a bad child, I'll have to report you to
your mother and have her perform some severe correction." Or could it
mean, "I see your mama the crack ho is out on the street hustling her
booty"? Or is it just that for (white?) working class USians, mothers
are sacred and must *never* be so much as *mentioned* by *anyone*
except in tones of deepest respect.

Damien Broderick

Database version: 6.12900