[ExI] usage question

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sun Jul 26 14:34:35 UTC 2009

From: "Gary Miller" <aiguy at comcast.net>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2009 5:55 AM

> In the intermixed racial rural neighborhood which I grew up in 30 years
> ago, even then bringing the opponent's mother into a verbal conflict was
> an invitation to fist fight. This was true regardless of the ethnic
> background of the participants.  As nonsensical as it seems, if you did
> not respond to a comment about your mother with either violence or an even
> worse verbal  comment designed to make the other participant initiate
> violence, you were regarded as a coward of the lowest form not even brave
> enough to defend your mother's honor.

> Only the closest of friends engaging in mock combat could get away with
> dissing each others mothers and escape physical combat.  And I have even
> seen good friends get into fist fights when that type of mock verbal
> combat got out of hand and one or both of them let the words escalate to
> irrational anger.

 > Police officers are human beings too and are trained to be aggressive and
to take control of the situation. When a suspect does not become docile or
passive in defusing the situation they always come out on the losing side of
the game.  It's my feeling that this individual was so confident in social
standing and rank in the the community that he felt his righteous
indignation would win out over the police in the long run, which in fact it
did.

Sigh.  We are still such monkeys.

Olga