[ExI] Ms. vs. Dr.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jul 28 00:07:04 UTC 2009

At 01:09 AM 7/28/2009 +0200, Dr. Vaj wrote:

>BTW, in Italy anybody with a chair would be offended unless you him or
>her Professor, rather than Doctor. Still, you would have to call a
>lady a lady, not a doctor or a professor, in any non-professional
>context. The same is not applicable to men, to whom academic or
>professional title must be used even in social, but formal, contexts,
>unless they enjoy a knighthood or aristocracy status.

Yes, it's endlessly tricky. The only close friend I have with a
doctorate has two, but he's rarely addressed as "Doctor Doctor." :)

My wife has more degrees than I do, including a Juris Doctorate, but
apparently USians don't regard that as worthy of the "Doctor"
appellation. In Australia, medical practitioners with just bachelor
degrees in medicine and surgery have long been accorded the courtesy
title "Dr." as are, increasingly, dentists, and even vets (or is that
just in the US?), not to mention chiropractors.

Professors, as you say, can be indignant if addressed as "Doctor." On
the other hand, I get the impression that many instructors in the US
are called "Professor" so that the title has become somewhat devalued.

Peacock tails...

Damien Broderick

Database version: 6.12910