[ExI] New number system (was Re: our next billion dollars)

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 03:04:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I'm gunning for standard use of Hexadecimal to replace Decimal.
> Along with that, we need a new Hexadecimal Metric System, including
> Hexadecimal Metric Time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagesimal
http://www.wonderquest.com/base-60.htm
http://it.stlawu.edu/~dmelvill/mesomath/index.html

I was going to suggest base60 as an innovation for its easy
divisibility (by every number 2-6) but after looking it up I see it
seems like base60 was apparently abandoned for "our" current base10
and be now use machines to do decimal calculations using base2
representation.

The counting by finger joints reminded me of the scene in Princess
Bride where Inigo tries to determine how many castle guards are left
from the original 30 after the giant takes 10 - he (very visibly)
counts down using finger joints.  Interesting.