[ExI] future fizzle

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jun 2 00:45:55 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
> Subject: Re: [ExI] future fizzle
>
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:10 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> > Tom, these problems are mostly solved by using verrrry tiny humans,
> > preferrably a paraplegic.
>
> Not to mention making long zero gravity trips... short...

Stefano, the ISS studies show that most of the physiological damage is done
within the first 8 to 10 weeks.

> We are not speaking here of vague "breakthrough propulsion
> technologies" of the kind that serve to waste a couple
> millions NASA budget, but of the engine currently being tried
> on the ISS, if I am not mistaken... Stefano Vaj

The ion drives are crazy high in specific impulse, but their total thrust is
very low, and they don't scale up very effectively.  They will be of little
use in getting to Mars much faster than the 8 months each way Hohmann
transfer orbit.  Taking humans to Mars is unlikely to be much less than a
four year mission with any readily foreseeable technology.