[ExI] future fizzle

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jun 4 22:30:32 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
> Subject: Re: [ExI] future fizzle
>
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> > need not send that many, for it requires only two human
> landers, both
> > nubile females with lots of frozen embryos.  They and their
> offspring
> > are there to stay.  That's the right way to do a Mars
> colony.  Takes a
> > long time, but it is still the right way.
>
> Do you ever see a need for men?  Once science supersedes the
> requirement for old-fashioned reproduction, is there much use
> for the male of our species?  Machines do the heavy lifting
> and the intelligence to build & guide the machines is not
> gender-dependent.
> Once you've selected your two nubile females, do you send any
> male embryos with them?  Or is Mars destined to be populated
> solely by women?

At first it would be only women and female embryos.  Then there will be a
planet full of young male volunteers eager to go live on Mars.  Imagine
being the first guy there.  Thirty to fifty women, some of whom have never
even seen a man, otherwise the planet is all yours.  Would that be cool, or
what?