[ExI] future pizzle

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 8 05:59:49 UTC 2009

At 10:17 PM 6/7/2009 -0700, Spike wrote:

> > 30 to 50 women saying,
> > "You want to do WHAT???!!!!    Have you gone totally insane???
> > Where's my tazer?"
> >
> > BillK
>
>What would happen BillK?  If you had 30 to 50 women who had been raised on
>Mars with only women, and no input from Earth,

Where did "no input from Earth" come from? Wasn't this meant to be a
cheap path to human settlement on Mars? You're also going to do away
with radio, TV, the web, computers? Why? What?

Since you're wondering how enthusiastic these women would be when men
arrive (why would men arrive? the whole idea was that it's too
expensive to send them), imagine your own reaction when the starship
arrives and disgorges a bunch of gnarly giant Klingons who schmooze
up to you, Spike, and rumble that for Klingons--our true ancient
ancestors--male on male sex is what tradition demands, sugar.

Or you could read some of the sf explorations of this theme in books
and stories by James Tiptree Jr aka Alice Sheldon ("Houston, Houston,
Do You Read?"**), Joanna Russ, Ursula Le Guin, and others.

Damien Broderick
**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston,_Houston,_Do_You_Read%3F