[ExI] Are hard drugs not really addictive after all?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 09:39:03 UTC 2009

2009/6/8 John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>:
> Stathis wrote:
> Having complete access to the source code of your brain would not be like
> drug addiction or wireheading. This relates to the concept of second order
> desires, or desires about desires: "I wish I didn't have such an urge to use
> heroin; I wish I got as much pleasure from going for a walk as I do from
> using heroin." If the addict could simply adjust his brain in accordance
> with these wishes, there wouldn't be a problem.
>>>>

> What do you mean, there wouldn't be a problem??  Do you really want to see
> people walking down the street looking out of their minds with bliss? LOL

If the problem of excessive walking or looking uncool while walking is
anticipated, that too could be fixed. For example, I could arrange it
so that my desire to walk without purpose is satiated after a suitable
period, or so that I don't have a stupid expression on my face, or so
that I don't care if people notice that I have a stupid expression on
my face.

--
Stathis Papaioannou