[ExI] Darwin the Deist

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 8 21:27:43 UTC 2009

At 01:53 PM 6/8/2009 -0700, Dan wrote:

>IIRC, he did not remain that way, but seems to have ended his days
>as a deist -- which is still not an atheist, but isn't a Christian.

This looks close enough:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin%27s_views_on_religion>

<Though reticent about his religious views, in 1879 he responded that
he had never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of
a God, and that generally "an Agnostic would be the more correct
description of my state of mind."[7] He went as far as saying that
"Science has nothing to do with Christ, except insofar as the habit
of scientific research makes a man cautious in admitting evidence.
For myself, I do not believe that there ever has been any revelation.
As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between
conflicting vague probabilities.">

[7] <http://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/content/view/130/125/>