[ExI] [Robotgroup] Alternative human keyboard interfaces

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Tue Jun 9 14:06:41 UTC 2009

Court stenographers use a small chording keyboard with only 22 keys using both
hands.  They achieve phenomenal speeds by using a phonetic shorthand.  First,
they spell things as they sound phonetically.  Second, they type whole
syllables at a time.  The left hand chords the consonants beginning syllables
while the right hand chords the consonants ending syllables.  I don't remember
how they coded the middle vowel sounds.  But by using this method, they
punched a whole syllable of spoken language at a time.  They are required to
be able to type at 225 words per minute.  Many reach over 200 words per
minute.

The second idea that might help you from this, is that they never used the
special characters you speak of.  They chorded out words for everything.
(This was because all testimony in court was verbal.)  So if someone said
"question-mark", they would actually punch the chords for the syllables KWES-
CHUN-MARK.  This would be three chords that are no more difficult than the other
syllables.  I could see spelling out code using words, as I have done before
in verbal discussions with coders.

   if [ i = 1 ] ; then echo "one!" ; fi

becomes

   IF-LEFT-BRAK-ET-EYE-EQUALS-ONE-RITE-BRAK-ET-SEM-EYE-COH-LUN-THEN-EK-OH-
QUOTE-WUN-BANG-QUOTE-SEM-EYE-COH-LUN-FEE

The third idea is that they now use automated software to translate their
syllables into english text.

Don't know if this helps, but it might give you some ideas.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>