[ExI] The Death Toll Imbalance in the Mideast War

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Thu Jun 11 18:34:00 UTC 2009

Il 11/06/2009 11.40, Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:
> 2009/6/11 John Grigg<possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>:

> But what if people wanted regime change, but not at the cost of being
> invaded? What if Saddam had held an election just before the US
> invasion and, as sometimes happens in times of national emergency, had
> received endorsement even from people who normally hated him?

Your memory is feeble.
He held an election before the invasion, and people voted marking the
ballot with their blood from a finger when pro Saddam.
He obtained 99,9% or maybe 100% of vote in his favour.
I suppose that people willing to vote against him would be required to
bleed to dead to the ballot to have their vote counted.

Whatever, if a single man or woman was oppressed by Saddam, the other
99% support to Saddam would not make his oppression right. And anyone
with the will and the strength to help the oppressed would have done
nothing wrong liberating the oppressed.

>> As an Australian, you live in a comfortable, but relatively minor first
>> world power.  You do not bear the huge burden of having to dominate the
>> world (I mean be the world's policeman!) for both our and *your* own good.
>
> Australia is almost as guilty since we generally go along with
> whatever the US decides. But who appointed the US world policeman? If
> anyone can legitimately claim that title (and perhaps no-one should)
> it would be an international organisations such as the UN or World
> Court, but the US generally treats these bodies with contempt whenever
> they don't agree with it.

Well, when they put Libya or Iran or such governments on the head of the
commissions for Human Right Promotion and Against Racism, they deserve
the contempt.
When the son of the Secretary General of the UN is caught with the hand
in the jar of the marmalade (Food for Oil) and the Secretary General
stay, they deserve the contempt.

Australia, for example, is rearming fast, because it don't trust much
its neighbour Indonesia and start to distrust the US umbrella of protection.

Mirco