[ExI] Inflatable tower could climb to the edge of space

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 12 17:51:50 UTC 2009

At 09:30 AM 6/12/2009 -0700, Keith wrote:

>For a serious structure, drag from wind is going to be
>immense.  Some places on the equator have a fairly steady wind out of the east.

Here are two intensely simple-minded and ignorant questions:

In view of wind drag, would there be any merit in building the thing
*behind* the wind shield of a big mountain range, rather than on top
of one? I guess the wind kicks in equally on the portion above the
mountain tops, but perhaps the base would be more sturdy if somewhat shielded.

Could wind help *lift* the tower if it has nicely shaped computer
adjusted aerofoils jutting out from it all the way up, orthogonal to the wind?

Damien Broderick