[ExI] Inflatable tower could climb to the edge of space

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 12 18:49:21 UTC 2009

At 11:17 AM 6/12/2009 -0700, Dan wrote:

> > Exactly wrong: in line with
> > the wind (when that would help). <cough>
>
>I had a picture of wings lifting the tower -- ones that stuck out
>the sides from the perspective of the line of the wind.  Would that
>work?  Wouldn't that be orthogonal?

I've completely confused myself at this point. Yeah, that's what I
meant originally. If the wind is coming from the east (say), the
lifting surfaces jut out to north and south. But their chord line
isn't orthogonal to the wind, of course, or the tower would turn into
a yacht and blow away. I'll go away quietly now.

Damien Broderick