[ExI] Meta Rand was Attacking Rand

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 19 01:30:31 UTC 2009

At 05:24 PM 6/18/2009 -0700, Keith wrote:

>>During the last twenty years or so Atlas Shrugged has began to be
>>translated into various languages so we will see if the work does well
>>in non-English speaking countries.  Atlas Shrugged does have the
>>difficulty of being written in the 1950s and focused on trains rather
>>than airplanes.  So it has an "older" feel to it.
>
>If it is out of copyright, someone *could* produce a modern version
>with a text editor.

Rand died in 1982. Copyright currently is death + 70 years. ("As a
general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright
protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70
years." But 1923-63, from publication (in this case 1957): "28 years
+ could be renewed for 47 years, now extended by 20 years for a total
renewal of 67 years. If not so renewed, now in public domain." You
can bet your bippy Dr. Piecrust extended it.) You might want to
postpone that revision until at least 2052...

Damien Broderick