[ExI] Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 19 04:17:03 UTC 2009

>http://www.scribd.com/doc/391082/Post-Humanism-History

That's the ticket. Now we can talk about it without guessing wildly.
I see he starts:

"...the history of posthumanism is neither synonymous with the
history of technology , nor is it found exclusively within
philosophical inquiries into technology . Certainly, technological
change has become a core component of contemporary imaginations about
posthumanity. However, I will argue that imaginations about how
humanity is transformed by technology are specific , historically
contingent manifestations"

[gosh! just like all our other ideas!]

"of posthuman ideas. Moreover, these ideas are more deeply rooted in
claims about such concepts as becoming, alterity, transgressions of
boundaries and the position of humanity in relation to these concepts .

"...the 'post' of posthumanism need not imply the absence of humanity
or moving beyond it in some biological or evolutionary manner.
Rather, the starting point should be an attempt to understand what
has been omitted from an anthropocentric worldview, which includes
coming to terms with how the Enlightenment centring of humanity has
been revealed as inadequate."

Damien Broderick