[ExI] quantum effects in biological systems

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 21:43:55 UTC 2009

I found this article unsettling:

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/23748/

I have always taken comfort in the (dubious) notion that macroscopic
systems were deterministic; that quantum weirdness was exceedingly
fragile, fleeting, and safely confined to an ultra-microscopic
ultra-cold realm.  Nevertheless, I could not escape the conclusion
that EVOLVED systems would/MUST integrate, without prejudice, any
effect, quantum or otherwise, which enhanced survival.  The same 3.5
billion years of "classical" biological evolution was simultaneously
3.5 billion years of "quantum" biological evolution.

Lofty self-satisfaction with "modern" science cannot conceal our
current ignorance of quantum effects generally, and of the particular
role of quantum effects in biology. This vast gulf of the unknown
worries me. How can I be confident (as I have been and would like to
continue to be) of a successful restoration from cryonic suspension
when the ignorance of crucial science is so vast?

Still more late-breaking news of room temp quantum effects in biology.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/23581/

Best, Jeff Davis

 "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                        Ray Charles