[ExI] quantum effects in biological systems

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:08:24 UTC 2009

Quantum efefcts are evident at scales much below the scale range
usually considered relevant to biology... but there are examples of
amplification of quantum effects to much higher scales, even at our
own (macro)scale.

There have been suggestions that qualtum affects are not only
relevant, but even crucial, to biology and the conscious mind. While
there is no firm evidence (that I am aware of), we should keep an open
mind. If quantum effects are crucial to our existence, we will have to
understand them to a sufficient degree to be able to replicate them.
In particular, the techniques used for cryonics revival and mind
uploading will have to preserve our "quantum self"

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Jeff Davis<jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found this article unsettling:
>
> http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/23748/
>
> I have always taken comfort in the (dubious) notion that macroscopic
> systems were deterministic; that quantum weirdness was exceedingly
> fragile, fleeting, and safely confined to an ultra-microscopic
> ultra-cold realm.  Nevertheless, I could not escape the conclusion
> that EVOLVED systems would/MUST integrate, without prejudice, any
> effect, quantum or otherwise, which enhanced survival.  The same 3.5
> billion years of "classical" biological evolution was simultaneously
> 3.5 billion years of "quantum" biological evolution.
>
> Lofty self-satisfaction with "modern" science cannot conceal our
> current ignorance of quantum effects generally, and of the particular
> role of quantum effects in biology. This vast gulf of the unknown
> worries me. How can I be confident (as I have been and would like to
> continue to be) of a successful restoration from cryonic suspension
> when the ignorance of crucial science is so vast?
>
> Still more late-breaking news of room temp quantum effects in biology.
>
> http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/23581/
>
> Best, Jeff Davis
>
>  "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
>                        Ray Charles

Eschatoon Magic
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon
aka Giulio Prisco