[ExI] Private and government R&D

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:32:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Dan<dan_ust at yahoo.com> wrote:
> True on one level, but the market generally is better at delivering the goods.  That's the record of history.

The jury may be still out on whether the goods here means "all goods".
But this is not really my point here.

My point is that the market - as is the case, at some level, for the
politics - deliver *the goods there is a demand for*.

And it is not the "market" that decide which goods are demanded. It is
the preferences of the economic players (politically, of "the
people"). And such preferences are determined by the cultural norms,
which in turn are generated by the cultural power in place.

This is where transhumanism, or for that matter neoluddism, make a
difference in what the governments or the private sector are going to
do.

--
Stefano Vaj