[ExI] hitchins fans: hitchins on UN free speech proposal

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:46:57 UTC 2009

2009/3/6 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
> Hitchins is about 4.5 minutes in, so you might want to fast forward.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-qdC5zYd4
>
> When we were talking about those who consider transhumanism a religion, we
> never dealt with the possibility that if it were so, criticism of
> transhumanism could become an international crime.

This is disturbing, but the thing about the United Nations is that for
the most part governments through their UN delegates behave better
collectively than they do individually. For example, no country
actually voted against the UN declaration of human rights in 1948,
although the Soviet Bloc, South Africa and Saudi Arabia abstained.
When a country does refuse to sign or ratify something that almost
every other country does alarms are raised as to that country's
motives. Of course, making fine-sounding declarations and actually
following them are two different things.

--
Stathis Papaioannou