[ExI] moral ambiguity, was: What is Grace?

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Tue Mar 10 07:52:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 22:59 -0700, spike wrote:

> Hard to say how history will view this decade fifty years from now, when we
> know how the approaching showdown between Israel and Iran plays out.  The US
> invasion stopped a war between Iran and Iraq,

Maybe.  That is a conjecture at best.

>  killing thousands

Thousands of just US service personnel alone.  The number of US service
personnel with major injuries very large.   The number of Iraqi dead,
injured and displaced are difficult to calculate.

>  while saving
> millions of lives,

That is just a conjecture; and not very convincing.

>  but as an unintended consequence, may have enabled a
> bigger subsequent war between stronger opponents,

Hopefully not.  What I see is that from the end of WWII onward the US
and others (some even earlier) have had a parade of hubris, incompetence
and mendacity throughout the middle East.  The Bush decision to invade
Iraq will likely go down in history as one of the most stupid decisions
ever made by a POTUS.  Perhaps some day the US and other governments
will understand that there are just some situations which they do not
understand and in which they should avoid meddling.