[ExI] A basic test question in Newtonian Genetics

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 02:46:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> Given a gravitational constant
> G = 6.67428 by 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2
> and a Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil of unit biblical height,
> how far does the apple fall from the tree?
> For extra credit, provide the answer in qubits.
> Damien Broderick, pH
> Professor, Newtonian Genetics, University of Ard-Knox, Geneva
> [this test item is for Spike Jones]

Slightly less than half a qubit.*

The hard part was converting cubits to qubits, but thanks be to Google
and the "i" triple "e":

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F7032%2F18939%2F00875960.pdf%3Farnumber%3D875960&authDecision=-203

*How I arrived at my answer:

 Unit biblical height = 1 cubit;

Ergo height of apple above ground = less than one cubit.

[Note: In Western Christian art, the fruit is commonly depicted as an
apple, (they originated in central Asia). The source of this
apparently lay in a Latin pun: by eating the malus (apple), Eve
contracted malum (evil).
 Adams, Cecil (2006-11-24). "The Straight Dope: Was the forbidden
fruit in the Garden of Eden an apple?". The Straight Dope. Creative
Loafing Media, Inc..
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2682/was-the-forbidden-fruit-in-the-garden-of-eden-an-apple.]

The furthest from the tree the "apple" can fall then is the midpoint
between the lowest branches and the ground, which, from the above, is
clearly less than half a cubit.

>From that point onward in its fall the "apple" will once again be
getting closer to the tree, in the form of the root system radiating
outward along the ground.  Of course, all bets are off if the ground
is steeply sloping and the "apple" can roll after falling.  Strictly
speaking however, rolling is not falling.

Best, Jeff Davis

      "Everything you see I owe to spaghetti."
                         Sophia Loren