[ExI] global warming again

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Mar 16 18:16:46 UTC 2009

At 02:01 PM 3/15/2009 -0700, Spike wrote:

>It is so puzzling.  What happens if we keep taking measuring and find that
>the recent climate data indicates the globe is actually cooling?

Or what if the earth is actually flat? Or rhomboid?

Quote from below: "Eleven of the last 12 years
(1995-2006) rank among the warmest years in
global surface temperature since 1850."

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/03/a-predicted-glo.html

World Population Devastated if a Predicted Global
Warming Increase of 9 Degrees F Occurs

By Casey Kazan
Daily Galaxy Editorial Staff

On the closing day of the Congress on Climate
Change held last week in Copenhagen, one of the
world's leading experts, Hans Joachim
Schellnhuber, the director of the Potsdam
Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany,
said that if the buildup of greenhouse gases and
its consequences pushed global temperatures 9
degrees Fahrenheit higher than today - well below
the upper temperature range that scientists
project could occur from global warming - Earth's
population would be devastated.

"In a very cynical way, it's a triumph for
science because at last we have stabilized
something -- namely the estimates for the
carrying capacity of the planet, namely below 1 billion people."

Schellnhuber's comments at the Copenhagen
conference underscore that, given high rates of
observed emissions, the worst-case IPCC scenario
trajectories are unfoldinmg. For many key
parameters, the climate system is already moving
beyond the patterns of natural variability within
which our society and economy have developed and
thrived. These parameters include global mean
surface temperature, sea-level rise, ocean and
ice sheet dynamics, ocean acidification, and
extreme climatic events. There is a significant
risk that many of the trends will accelerate,
leading to an increasing risk of abrupt or irreversible climatic shifts.

Recent observations show that societies are
highly vulnerable to even modest levels of
climate change, with poor nations and communities
particularly at risk. Temperature rises above 2°C
will be very difficult for contemporary societies
to cope with, and will increase the level of
climate disruption through the rest of the century.

It is important for people to understand that the
warming the IPCC talks about is not hypothetical.
Eleven of the last 12 years (1995-2006) rank
among the warmest years in global surface
temperature since 1850. Glaciers and snow cover
have declined, and ice sheets from Greenland and
parts of Antarctica are melting. The ocean has
been absorbing more than 80% of the heat added to
the climate system, yet the average temperature
of the ocean has increased up to a depth of 3,000
meters, causing seawater to expand and contributing to sea level rise.

Schellnhuber, citing his own research, said that
at certain "tipping points," higher temperatures
could cause areas of the ocean to become
deoxygenated, resulting in what he calls "oxygen
holes" between 600 and 2,400 feet deep. These are
areas so depleted of the gas that they would badly disrupt the food chain.

Unabated warming would also lead to "disruption
of the monsoon, collapse of the Amazon rain
forest and the Greenland ice sheet will meltdown," he said.

Scientists must make clear the disastrous effects
of climate change so the world takes action now
to cut carbon emissions, leading economist
Nicholas Stern said on told the gathering of 2,000 scientists.

"You have to tell people very clearly and
strongly just how difficult (a temperature rise
of) four, five, six or seven degrees Celsius is," he said.

"Billions of people would have to move and there
would be very severe conflict," said Stern, a
professor at the London School of Economics and a
former British Treasury economist.

"That's a story that must be told to persuade
people it's a very bad idea to go anywhere near
five degrees. This is not a black swan, this is a
big probability of a devastating outcome," he

Posted by Casey Kazan

Sources:

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/13/scientist-warming-could-cut-population-to-1-billion/
http://www-ramanathan.ucsd.edu/dai/Schellnhuber-PNAS-2008.pdf