[ExI] What is Grace?

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 11:50:21 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 3/16/09, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I believe 'removal' falls under
>> 'deterrence' as I defined it above. (I'd like to
>> see a reference to support your claim that removal is a
>> "classic reason" distinct from deterrence, but
>> then you might consider this splitting hairs.)
>
> How would that be the case? "Removal" has to do
> with the dangers it may avoid, not the retribution of
> a possible, future guilt to be deterred.

I write here in terms of societal goals, and I do not consider simple "removal of the guilty" a goal. I consider it a method by which we hope to achieve the goal of crime deterrence. I see it as a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Punishment of the guilty serves the goal of crime deterrence also through example. Again a means to end, not an end in itself.

Other related societal goals include retribution and rehabilitation. Should we make the guilty suffer? Should we try to make them better people? Open questions.

-gts