[ExI] What is Grace?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:55:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> According to Webster Online:
> "de·ter
> 1 : to turn aside, discourage, or prevent from acting <she would not be deterred by threats>"
>
> Right, but it does 'prevent [the guilty party] from acting'. In that way suspension deters crime. It prevents the criminal from re-offending.

My English is admittedly poor, but my Latin is not, and at least
etimologically speaking deterrence implies a prevention through
*terror*, not any kind of prevention, e.g., physical restriction.

But of course it is just a matter of understanding one another, not of
philological disputes... ;-)

--
Stefano Vaj