[ExI] global warming again.

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 18 05:25:02 UTC 2009

Stefano wrote:

> I know for a fact that humankind thrived with
> much warmer climates than we  know today,
> and this debunk all notion of "impending extinction unless..."

I'm not sure about the "humankind" part as the history of that species is
very short, but it is true that for most of the history of life the climate
has been much warmer than it is now. In the last billion years it has never
been warmer than during the Carboniferous Era and I don't believe life has
ever been quite that dense again.

And it's not surprising that environmental organizations spread fear and
warn of impending extinction, they do it for the same reason that drug
enforcement organizations warn of the dangers of legalizing marihuana.
It's how they make their living.

Most science stories are under reported, but this one is over reported. It
bores me for 2 reasons:

1) This "huge problem" has up to now not caused any problems.

2) If in the future if it does cause problems we will have to deal with it
then because right now with our technology there is absolutely nothing we
can do about it. All the "solutions" I've seen are just gestures, multi
trillion gestures that would drive the world into poverty and make the money
lost in the sub prime mortgage crisis look like chump change. And still it
would just be a gesture.

Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com

> Dwellers in a global urban economy eating food grown and harvested by
> oil-fed machines can't just climb to their feet and trudge off to a nicer
> region to the north

But of course they can and it wouldn't be the first time that population
densities have been effected by changes in the climate.

> What's being discussed is increasingly unsettled "mixing," turbulence,
> unpredictable changes in local ecologies.

And yet environmentalists have no trouble at all in predicting all sorts of
dreadful things happening in these unpredictable ecologies. As I said that
is how they make their living, nobody is going to contribute to them or
even pay attention if they say everything is fine.

By the way, do you think the exact temperature the earth is right now the
one and only perfect temperature for human beings?  Al Gore in his silly
documentary loved to show people dieing from heat stroke, but he neglected
to say that for every one of them about a thousand freeze to death.

 John K Clark